I know this is all ancient and stuff, but I am still amused by my impressions from the Live 8 concert in Philly, which I helped cover for People magazine back in 2005. So now purely for my own amusement, my debriefing after the event:
Here, in no particular order, are the things that I know today that I did not know yesterday:
1. Will Smith has really astonishing pale brown eyes. Rather hypnotic.
2. Jaida Pinkett Smith is really, really short. I mean, really short.
3. The Rev. Al Sharpton is a shameless media whore who will maim and kill to get into pictures, but he is really goddamned funny.*
4. Sarah McLachlan is dazzlingly, heartbreakingly beautiful in a way that pictures cannot capture.
5. Anna Nicole Smith is crazy,** though she looks great these days and her breasts are still enormous, particularly when displayed under the "shirt" that she was "wearing" to Live 8.
6. Rob Thomas is a really nice guy, particularly when he is extremely high.
7. Jimmy Smits appears to be developing a beer belly.
8. The Kaiser Chiefs are really cool. Nobody's ever heard of them before today, but I can tell I am going to be a fan.
9. Dave Matthews is an inarticulate, boorish asshole.***
10. Natalie Portman's body is so small and delicate and her head is so freakishly large that she resembles a giant Pez Machine.
11. Jennifer Connolly is too thin, but still sexy.
12. Chris Tucker is a really funny guy. But his eyes are big and buggy, which is distracting.
13. Kanye West believes some really freaky conspiracy theories and generally makes Oliver Stone seem well adjusted and stable.
14. Rita Marley may be 60, but she is still hot.
15. Don Cheadle is really, really dull. I mean, really dull.
16. If this music thing doesn't work out, Alicia Keys should look into becoming a diplomat. Or a congresswoman. Or maybe president.
17. Hollywood publicists should be killed. Painfully and publicly.
* Actually, I did already know this.
** I strongly suspected this already.
*** Ok, so I knew this already too.
UPDATE: yeah, I know Anna Nicole isn't looking so good anymore. That's what you get for waiting three years to post an item. The rest I will have to assume is still true.