Several people on Facebook have tagged me with this 25 Things About Me game. I find it sort of interesting, but I am not sure I want to play exactly as required. It smacks too much of a chain letter, and I throw those away on principle. And yet, the game is sort of fun - some of the results come close to poetry (Look here and you'll see what I mean).
So I am going to say 25 things about me, but I am not going to tag 25 of my closest friends, relations, and henchmen. So sue me.
1. I have a morbid fascination with Chinese buffets.
2. I always wanted to be a Constitutional lawyer.
3. I have an irrational fear of compressed gasses of all sorts.
4. People don’t seem to believe me when I say I am both shy and lazy.
5. Animals interest me only in so far as I can cook delicious meals with them. But I would cook them with deep love and respect.
6. I think the Rolling Stones are better as an idea than as a rock band. Ditto for U2.
7. I have a bad temper, but it takes a long time to get to it.
8. I am a surprisingly good body surfer.
9. Good beer brings me joy.
10. I like American Idol and I don’t care who knows it.
11. I remember being five years old – and I miss it.
12. When I attempt to speak a foreign language, I suffer a crippling bout of insecurity, which instantly renders me unintelligible.
13. I have disproportionately short legs.
14. I cry when I read the final chapter of the House at Pooh Corner.
15. Driving to some place new is one of my quiet pleasures.
16. I always wished my hair was straight so I could wear it really long without looking like Kenny G.
17. I believe that most people in government sincerely want to serve the public interest, although they don’t always succeed.
18. I like to eat lunch alone.
19. I have an enduring and completely inexplicable fixation on Russian history.
20. I write better when I am hungry, but I only think I write better when I am drunk.
21. If money were no object, I would live on Maui.
22. I think Vegemite is delicious if eaten in moderation.
23. I maintain my own sourdough yeast colony, making me, technically, a yeast farmer.
24. My math skills are dismal, even with a calculator.
25. I have yet to decide what I want to do when I grow up.