Tuesday, April 01, 2008

April Fool's Day

I hate April Fool's Day. In fact, I hate pranks and practical jokes of all kinds. Perhaps this is because for a guy who is so cynical, I am surprisingly gullible. That makes April Fool's Day a confusing and irritating ritual.

So in honor of April Fool's Day, I am going to undertake one last, great practical joke, this one of an existential kind. I am going to play a prank on April Fool's Day itself. I will pretend that everything I do is a practical joke and yet, in reality, I WILL NEVER PLAY ANOTHER PRANK EVER AGAIN.*


* This is part of my ongoing series of meta lifestyle choices. In about 1999 or so, for example, I made a New Year's Resolution that I would never make another New Year's Resolution. And I have been completely successful to date.

2 comments:

dogimo said...

This seems like a needlessly broad vow. You should simply have resolved never to play another April Fool's prank!

Why, if you'd been so broad about the resolution thing - and not specified "New Year's" - you wouldn't even have been free to resolve not to play a prank!

I'm thinking that the anti-prank resolution was in and of itself the April Fool.

Now I'm going to go let my mind out for a walk.

Sean Scully said...

As you see, I like to think deeply about shallow topics.